1. Heat as a form of energy
6. Alcohol thermometer
7. Cooling/Heating Curve
Choose a Module
Sound and Magnetism
Try another Lesson
1. Cells and Living Things
2. Nutrition and Well Being
3. How Our Body Systems Interact
4. Variation and Reproduction
6. Solids, Liquids and Gases
7. The Atom
8. Acids and Bases
10. Measuring Physical Quantities
12. Force and Work
13. Density and Floatation
15. Origins of the Universe
16. Cycles of Matter
Welcome to the module on Heat.
By the end of this module you should be able to:
1. Show that heat is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms.
2. Identify good/bad conductors of heat and compare the insulating abilities of different materials.
3. Explain why matter expands when heated and contracts when cooled.
4. Explain why water expands on freezing.
5. Measure the temperature of various solids/liquids at/above/ below room temperature.
6. Understand the difference between heat and temperature.
7. Plot a cooling/heating curve and use latent heat to explain the shape of the curve.