1. Defining combustion
2. Characteristic tests
3. The Fire Triangle
4. The Law of Conservation of Mass
5. Harmful effects of CO2
6. Testing for Water Vapour
7. The properties of Carbon Dioxide
8. Air as a Mixture
Choose a Module
Try another Lesson
1. Cells and Living Things
2. Nutrition and Well Being
3. How Our Body Systems Interact
4. Variation and Reproduction
6. Solids, Liquids and Gases
7. The Atom
8. Acids and Bases
10. Measuring Physical Quantities
12. Force and Work
13. Density and Floatation
15. Origins of the Universe
16. Cycles of Matter
Welcome to the module on Gases.
At the end of this module you should be able to:
1. Carry out the characteristic tests for oxygen, carbon dioxide and hydrogen gases.
2. Identify some of the properties of carbon dioxide.
3. Explain combustion and the Fire Triangle.
4. Compare/contrast combustion, respiration, photosynthesis as chemical reactions.
5. Understand the atmosphere is a mixture of gases in a number of layers.
6. Understand the Law of Conservation of Mass through the production and identification of a gas.
7. Understand the role of carbon dioxide in photosynthesis and extinguishing fire.